When it comes to having (and keeping) a green lawn here in the Minneapolis area, you might feel like it is next to impossible. Between the rains, prolonged dry periods, cooler weather and of course, snow that covers everything for months at a time, having a beautiful lawn might be the last thing on your mind. However, now that the weather is warmer, the rain have died down a bit, and summer is here, you do not want to keep looking at the brown stuff in your yard. After all, your yard is to enjoy, and part of that enjoyment should be its lush green look.
Here are some tips to get your yard back in great shape and shining bright, as it should be.
- Do Not Fertilize – While it is important to do so, overdoing it can actually do more damage than good on the yard. Doing so once in the fall is all the yard needs, no more.
- Don’t Mow as Much – Having longer grass benefits the grass as a whole because it can reduce weeds, cool down the soil, and encourage microbes. It also encourages thinner grass to grow in thicker, and longer grass retains moisture in the soil better.
- Avoid ‘Cides – Do not use any insecticides, pesticides, herbicides, or fungicides. These can actually harm your grass rather than doing them any favors. There are other natural means to ridding your grass of pests; these chemical ‘cides are not the way to go.
- Do Not Over Water – Grass does not always need water, even during dry spells. Grass, even brown grass, can go dormant for months and still be healthy. Giving it more than it needs isn’t a good idea.
- Fertilize the Best Way Possible – Never use any fertilizers that are high in nitrogen; and keep it under 10%, and fertilize in the falls months of the year. Going with organic whenever possible.
- Lime – Adding lime to your grass once a year can be a great way to go about making sure your yard stays in the best shape possible. Lime is a good natural nutrient.
If your yard didn’t get a good clean-up this spring, here are more tips for cleaning up your yard to get it in shape for summer enjoyment.
Make sure to speak with us here at Architectural Landscape Design regarding the Minnesota lawn you’re trying to keep green this summer. We have plenty of extra tips for you to make use of to ensure that your lawn is looking the best that it possibly can. And if keeping up that grass looking good is more than you can handle, ask about our custom landscape maintenance packages that include lawn care.