What is the first thing you notice when you pull up to a friend’s house?
Their front yard!
Having a beautifully landscaped front yard will add incredible amounts of curb appeal. A flawlessly decorated outdoor area in the front of a home can make even the most average of houses look gorgeous. The best part is, there are ideas for those homeowners who do not have the time to put lots of care into their yards nor the money to have a professional do it. And none of these ideas requires a major financial investment.
Here are some low maintenance landscaping ideas to consider:
- Potted plants are a fantastic way to spruce up your front walk. It trumps a garden if you are looking for a solution to have plants without the mess of a garden. Choosing decorative pots and containers can help improve your curb appeal as well. Potted plants make it very easy to change your flowers and foliage out as the seasons change, and in the winter you can use those same pots for seasonal decór.
- Hardscaping options such as pebbles, gravel, and other materials are extremely low maintenance and require very little attention, only needing to be leveled if there is too much traffic through the patches. Adding these to any part of your lawn will eliminate the need to mow in that area, and you can even add some succulent plants and stepping stones to complete the look and keep it low maintenance.
- Rock gardens are also like pebbles and gravel, but without the walk-through. Instead of using soil in a garden, use rocks of all sizes and add some low maintenance plants to it for extra curb appeal. Make it even easier to care for by putting the plants in containers.
- Succulent patches are a great way to add some plants to your front lawn that don’t require too much attention and maintenance. They come in a wide assortment of colors, so you can really make your front lawn stand out without a ton of effort.
- Opt for native grasses and wildflowers. Varieties that are native to your area require very little in the way of watering and usually don’t need to be fertilized. And when you replace some of your lawn with prairie grasses, that cuts down on the mowing as well as the watering.
Adding curb appeal to your front yard does not necessarily mean that you need to spend thousands of dollars and many hours a week caring for your landscaping. With these low maintenance landscaping ideas, you are sure to find something that works for you and your home.
If you need help designing an easy-to-care-for front yard, do not hesitate to contact the landscape designers and installers at Architectural Landscape Design. We can help you design and execute your dream yard. We are a licensed MN landscaping company, and we serve the entire Minneapolis metro area, surrounding Minnesota communities, and even western Wisconsin.