Are you looking to do more with your outdoor living space? Perhaps you have a simple patio but want to take it to the next level. Or maybe you just moved in and are starting with a blank slate.
Today there are countless ways to create a beautiful, functional deck that you can enjoy for years to come. This blog examines some tips for building a backyard sanctuary that will make all your neighbors jealous.
Consider Your Lifestyle
Before you start building the deck of your dreams, think about how you want to use your outdoor living space. You might consider:
- Do you plan to host a lot of parties and barbeques?
- Does it need to be pet- or kid-friendly?
- What is your climate like, and how much of the year do you want to take advantage of your patio?
- How do you want to use your outdoor space: working, grilling out with your family, relaxing with a book?
Answering these questions will help you create the perfect deck for your needs. For example, if you have kids and pets, your space will need to be durable and safe. Also, you’ll know essential elements you need to incorporate, such as electricity, lighting, kitchen, landscaping, Wi-Fi and more.
Incorporate a Kitchen
If you’re building an outdoor living area that you plan to spend a lot of time in, an outdoor kitchen is a must. Modern outdoor designs extend far beyond the traditional grill, incorporating food preparation areas, cooking stations, and bars.
Consider the functionality you need in an outdoor kitchen. If you plan to use the patio more for barbequing and enjoying cocktails, you might only need a grill, bar area, and refrigerator.
If, on the other hand, you want to prepare and cook more than grill-friendly food, you’ll need the works: stove, refrigerator, sink, appliances, etc. You may even want to incorporate a fun out-of-the-box element like a pizza oven. Regardless of your budget or size constraints, there is a unique and functional kitchen design that will work for your deck.
Fight the Climate with a Fire Pit
With our notoriously cold Minnesota climate, it’s important to consider how to extend the use of your patio beyond the summertime. A fire pit is a perfect way to prolong your outdoor living season, providing warmth and ambiance on chilly nights. There are many fire elements you might consider, depending on the size of your outdoor space:
- A free-standing fire pit that can be moved around the yard
- A custom-built stone fire pit
- A built-in fireplace, complete with a chimney
- A campfire/bonfire style pit
Do keep in mind that your community may have regulations about the use of outdoor fire features, so be sure to research local ordinances before installing anything.
Think About Maintenance
A common mistake when creating your mega deck is forgetting about ongoing maintenance. Unfortunately, many elements of a fantastic outdoor living space require regular upkeep. For instance:
- Some elements may be sensitive to weather, requiring you to move or secure them as seasons change or during bad weather.
- Landscaping requires ongoing work to keep it looking beautiful, so before you create an intricate landscape design, figure out how you will maintain it.
- If you want to incorporate a fountain or hot tub, it’s critical to understand maintenance needs upfront.
Work with a Professional
Designing and constructing the perfect outdoor living space is a big undertaking. While you can do many things yourself, there are times you may want to partner with an experienced professional. A skilled landscaping company can help you make the most of your space, design with your needs in mind and suggest creative elements you may not have thought of yourself.
Look for a landscaping company with experience designing a wide range of outdoor spaces. Look for capabilities to create unique, custom designs, plus the ability to handle everything from concept to installation to maintenance.