We’ll work with you to create a plan that maximizes the potential to help you have a warmer house and a lower heating bill. At Architectural MN Landscape Design we have the knowledge and experience.
These 6 things can help you “heat up” your house. We can design, install, and implement them all. We can:
- Plant evergreens to block cold northwest winter winds. Building a tall fence will help to cut down the wind’s force. These two actions could cut your winter heating bills by 25 percent.
- Create berms, place walls, and planting near your house, not directly against it. Creating a space between the house and the berm, wall or plantings will allow for dead space. This dead space will act as an insulator, which will slow down the heat escaping from your house.
- Plant deciduous trees, like maples around your house. They are able to screen 70 to 90 percent of a hot summer sun. They also allow for winter sun to come through when all their leaves have dropped.
- Install wooden arched trellis over some of your windows and plant deciduous vines like bittersweet. They will create shade and privacy during the summer and allow sun in the winter.
- Plant grassy lawn areas on the south side of your house, so as to provide an area for snow to accumulate. These snow mounds will allow for light to be reflected off of the snow and onto your house. That will offer an effect like radiant heating.
- Install stone and concrete surfaces around your house to soak up heat during the day like patios, stone planting beds, sidewalks, and driveways.
- We’ll do the first six if you do the 7th and call us today on 952-292-7712.